Monday, November 18, 2013

Cauliflower "Steak"

After numerous unsuccessful attempts sneaking vegetables into my kids' meals (think cauliflower mac n' cheese, berry and kale smoothies, buttered noodles with broccoli pesto, you name it), I finally found the golden ticket: Steak Seasoning. This overlooked pantry staple transforms a boring vegetable like cauliflower into a juicy and tender (dare I say 'meaty') steakhouse-worthy side or main. It's so good that my picky kids were popping it into their mouths like popcorn. It was one of the most enjoyable food moments of my life.

Recipe:
Serves 2-3
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets about 1 1/2" diameter
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp steak seasoning
1 shallot, thinly sliced

P.S. They make great leftovers as a topping to butternut squash soup.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Break up the cauliflower into florets. Try not to make them too small since they shrink while roasting. Place the cauliflower and sliced shallots in a single layer on a cooking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and steak seasoning and toss well. I don't measure out the EVOO or seasoning. I just give it a good drizzle and shake and call it a day.  Bake for 25-35 minutes until tender, turning once with a metal spatula.  

No comments:

Post a Comment