Wednesday, January 5, 2011

You are (not) what you eat

One of my favorite pregnant (and non-pregnant) past times is watching the Food Network for hours on end. It's like self-prescribed bed rest that is actually enjoyable. Ina Garten, my hero, recently made a wonderful breakfast for friends that I decided was exactly what I needed for my belly at that very moment. So, I ran to my kitchen and combined two of her recipes to make the best granola of all time-Apricot and Raisin Cinnamon Granola (recipe to follow).  I have a scoop for breakfast mixed with some cereal and I top it with fresh strawberries and blueberries. It's pure bliss.

Recipe:
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sliced almonds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup good quality honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups dried apricots, chopped
1 1/2 cup dark raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Toss the oats, almonds, cinnamon and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and honey and add it to the oat mixture.  Stir with a wooden spoon until all of the oats/nuts are coated.  Pour onto a sheet pan.  Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown.  About 25-30 minutes.  (My oven took 25 minutes).

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the apricots and raisins and store in an air-tight container.

Don't forget to share the wealth.  Give your extras to a friend/neighbor if you can actually part with it:


Or else make a granola parfait (it's not that bad for you if you limit the granola and use low fat yogurt).

PC: Butter, Sugar, Flour,  The Sweetest Occasion, Hannaford, Gorman & Gorman, The Boston Globe

No comments:

Post a Comment