Thursday, October 27, 2016

Pistachio Pesto Pizza


I just came across this Pistachio Pesto Pizza from my trusty recipe drawer and it was a homerun!  I made a few tweaks on my end and served it with Giada's Veal Milanese (topped with baby arugula, shaved parmesan, and fresh lemon).  My husband said it was one of the best meals he's had in a long time. 

The pizza is even good two days later (I ate it alongside my Spaghetti Squash Lasagna with Spinach). 

This could also serve as a great appetizer for Thanksgiving. 

Recipe below:

Pistachio Pesto Pizza:
Servings: 4-6 as an appetizer
(adapted from Fine Cooking)

Ingredients:
2/3 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, toasted; plus an additional 3 tbsp toasted and chopped
1/2 cup-3/4 cup EVOO (your judgment)
kosher salt/pepper
2 8-oz balls pizza dough (I use one large whole wheat ball from Whole Foods)
5 oz fresh mozzarella, torn into small pieces
3 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
Optional: 3 Tbsp creme fraiche

Directions: 
1) To do in advance if you don't have two ovens: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add shelled pistachios to a jelly roll pan and roast for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown.  Set aside.
2) Set the oven for 550 degrees with a pizza stone on the bottom rack and let it heat up for at least 30 minutes.
3) Combine 2/3 cup pistachios and olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. I found that 3/4 cup was too much oil so find a consistency that is a nice, thick pesto.  Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper if needed.
4) I made one large pizza and spread it out on the pizza stone that I greased with EVOO before baking and parbaked it for 3 minutes (don't forget to use a fork to poke holes in the dough before baking so it doesn't rise).  Take it out of the oven and add around 4 tablespoons of pesto and cover with mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, and remaining parmesan cheese. Bake an additional 8 minutes, watching to make sure the cheese is melted and the crust is perfectly golden brown. Remove from the oven, top with 3 tbsp chopped pistachios, and enjoy. 
5) Optional: In a small bowl, mix the creme fraiche with 1 tbsp of water and drizzle over the pizza. I didn't do this but I'm sure it would be delicious. 
 






PC: finecooking


No comments:

Post a Comment