Hosting an afternoon playdate brings out the chef in me since I love to try out new recipes on my kids and their friends. My most recent playdate included Weelicious's Classic Mac n' Cheese after I sampled it at my friend's Olivia's house. It is as classic and as it is scrumptious and I can't wait to make it again and again. Go for it, your kids will thank you (and your husband/partner will too).
Recipe after the jump:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Mac and cheese:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (you can also use campanelle, cavatappi, or shells)
- 1. Place the topping ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400° F.
- 3. Cook pasta in salted water* for about 3 minutes less than package directions call for, until al dente, reserving half a cup of the pasta water.
- 4. In a large pot melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes to make a roux.
- 5. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil.
- 6. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.
- 7. Add reserved pasta water and cheddar cheese and whisk until melted.
- 8. Stir in the pasta.
- 9. Transfer to a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish.**
- 10. Sprinkle topping on macaroni and cheese.
- 11. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbling.
- 12. Serve.
- * Use about 2 Tbsp of kosher salt for 4 quarts of water.
- ** If making ahead, mixture can be cooled after this step to room temperature, covered and then refrigerated for up to a day.
- PC and recipe: Weelicious