Monday, September 13, 2010

Where Farro Thou

I recently tried Fine Cooking's Roasted Broccoli and Farro Salad to discover that I have a new love in Farro.  Who knew such a healthy grain could be so delicious?  I served it alongside my (grandma's) stuffed cabbage and it was a perfect meal. I left out the feta since I haven't been able to eat it since Greece (overload) and still loved it. 

So what is farro, you ask? Farro is actually the Mother of all grains; the original grain from which all others come from including rice, barley, wheat and rye.  When cooked, it has a chewy texture and nutty taste making it ideal for soups, sauces and salads (hence the salad above).  And  unlike wheat, it's high in fiber, vitamin b, and protein, so eat to your heart's content (but try to stick to a serving size).

Here's a pic of my salad:
PC: Fine Cooking 

No comments:

Post a Comment