I have finally convinced my good friend Sara to share one of her weeknight meals with us from her Chicago kitchen:
Stuffed Red and Green Bell Peppers with Spanish Rice, Turkey Meat and Hot Sausage
How about them peppers?
Sara is by far the most fun and vivacious person I know, so I am not surprised to find that her meal has a ton of flavor and color-just like her personality. Her meal is the perfect mix of vegetables, protein and carbs.
Here is her recipe:
• 4-6 green or red bell peppers
• 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1/2 lb of lean ground turkey
• 1/2 lb of spicy sausage
• 1 package of Spanish rice
• 1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh is best but canned will also be fine
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
• Fresh ground pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp of Cayenne pepper sauce
• 1 jar of organic tomato sauce.
1. Prepare Spanish Rice mixture and set aside-directions will be on side of box.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut top off peppers 1 inch from the stem end, and remove seeds. Add several generous pinches of salt to boiling water, then add peppers and boil, using a spoon to keep peppers completely submerged, until brilliant green (or red if red peppers) and their flesh slightly softened, about 3 minutes. DO NOT OVER COOK. Drain, set aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown meat and drain. Add onions and garlic and cook (stirring often) for about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Add rice mixture, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, oregano, cilantro and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp. Oil inside peppers, arrange cut side up in a baking dish, then stuff peppers with filling. then spoon over filling. Add 1/4 cup of water to the baking dish. Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes (or longer, depending on how big the peppers are that you are stuffing), until the internal temperature of the stuffed pepper is 150-160°F. Serves 4-6. I recommend serving on plate with a small salad.
I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks Sar!!