Sunday, November 8, 2009

Last Minute Dinner Party

Yesterday around 4 PM, my husband and I decided to host a couples dinner at our house at 8:30 PM... Luckily with the help of good groceries and Chelsea Market, we were able to pull it off with flying colors and had a perfect night with our friends.
Appetizers:
Cheese Plate (served on a lazy susan) with Manchego, White Cheddar, Brie, and Parmesan with fresh green grapes and fig jam
Accompaniments: sliced baguette, Carr's crackers, Italian breadsticks, and Rice crackers
Meat plate: Sweet and hot soppressata, proscuitto and pepperoni
Other: Trail mix by the new nut place at Chelsea Market
Drink: Red Wine (few different kinds of Cabernet)


The decor:
Fresh flowers from Gramercy Flowers at Chelsea Market. I made a bouquet (and wrapped two leaves around the inside of the vase) for the appetizer table and purchased some extra roses to make mini bouquets for each place setting.  I also purchased the most adorable lotus votive candles that I lined down the table.

Notice the mini bouquets-they add the perfect splash of color to the table and allow
everyone to see each other easily-unlike large flower arrangements.






Le Menu:
Iceberg Wedge: with chopped onion, tomato, blue cheese and low fat bacon. My husband prepared the bacon per my blog (with a dash of brown sugar thrown into the oven for 15-20) and we threw it together with a wedge of iceberg lettuce, fresh blue cheese, tomatoes, onion and a balsamic vinegar (next time I plan to make blue cheese dressing from scratch)

Entree:
Filet Mignon with Potato Kugel, and Roasted Asaparus






Dessert:
Brownies (from the box) served in ramekins with low fat vanilla ice cream







Other:
My favorite steak knives: Wusthof Steak Knives. I registered for the Ikon Blackwood, but I'm sure the other varieties are just as good. (They're just more expensive because of the handle).






Food images: Food & Wine, Whole Foods, PMSMeatsRI, Williams-Sonoma, reallynatural.com

1 comment:

  1. You threw this together in only 4 hours? It looks amazing! Great job.

    ReplyDelete