Friday, July 16, 2010

Best Ever Flank Steak!

I originally went to the store with a detailed menu planned out in my head (skirt steak tacos, honey chili corn on the cob, guacamole) and came home with something entirely different: flank steak... I guess I could have turned my tacos into fajitas but instead decided to try my friend Bibby's 'best ever flank steak' from my trusty bachelorette cookbook (there's nothing like girlfriends). 

Since flank steak (aka Bavette) is a significantly tough meat, you should really try to marinate overnight if you can.  I only marinated mine for 8 hours and it was still tender and delicious.  I served it with sweet potato wedges and a last minute spinach salad with ingredients I had on hand (raspberries, candied walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette). The meal was delicioso!

The recipes:
Best Ever Flank Steak
(serves 2-3)
16 oz flank steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp honey
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp lemon zest
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 oz sherry vinegar
pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tsp olive oil
salt/pepper
The night before: Score the meat and add all the ingredients to a ziploc bag.  Refrigerate overnight.
Next day: Preheat the broiler.  Broil on aluminum foil for approximately 4-6 minutes per side, turning once.  Allow meat to rest for 2-3 minutes to lock in the juices.  Carve and serve!

Sweet Potato Wedges
3 medium size sweet potatoes
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground coriander (great on all potatoes)
1/4 tsp hot chili flakes
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
1 tsp dark brown sugar (enough to coat the potatoes)
1/4 tsp chili powder
Cut the pototoes lengthwise into wedges.  Toss on a baking sheet with other ingredients.  Bake at 400 for 40 minutes, turning the potatoes half way through.  Check for doneness around 35 minutes.

Spinach salad:
Toss spinach leaves, fresh raspberries, candied or plain walnuts with balsamic vinaigrette. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment