Looking for a new salad in your Summer rotation? Look no further than Goop's Crunchy Kale Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette. It combines two kinds of kale, one that is baked to make crunchy chips and the other that serves as the base of the salad layered with exciting toppings like dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, fresh mint, avocado, and quinoa and tossed with a sweet yet tangy blood orange vinaigrette. It's been a big hit with my friends since everyone and their Mother is eating well.
Recipe after the jump:
Goop's Crunchy Kale Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
for the kale chips:
1 bunch curly kale, ribs removed
4 teaspoons olive oil
harissa powder (if you can’t find harissa powder, substitute hot smoked paprika)
for the dressing:
3 tablespoons blood orange juice (juice of 1 small blood orange) or naval orange if needed
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
for the salad:
1 cup packed dino kale, cleaned and julienned
¼ cup cooked quinoa
¼ cup cooked chickpeas (we use canned)
1 small scallion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
1 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds
¼ cup roughly chopped mint leaves
¼-½ an avocado, diced
kosher salt and pepper
1. To make the kale chips, preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Wash and dry the kale very well, then tear into large pieces.
3. Divide kale pieces between two large baking sheets and toss each batch with 2 teaspoons olive oil, a pinch of harissa powder, and a generous pinch of kosher salt.
4. Use your fingers to massage the oil and seasoning into the kale leaves, then spread out in an even layer, making sure that no pieces overlap.
5. Place the baking sheets in the lower and upper thirds of the oven, bake for 10 minutes, then switch the baking sheets and bake for a further 7 minutes.
6. Let the chips cool on the baking sheet before eating.
7. While the kale chips cook, make the salad dressing; whisk together first five ingredients and season to taste with salt.
8. To assemble the salad, place all salad ingredients in a medium bowl and toss with half the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss in a large handful of the kale chips.
9. Eat immediately (so the chips stay crunchy) with remaining dressing on the side.