Chickpea, Barley, and Feta Salad
I served mine with Moroccan Chicken and Grilled Zucchini and Leeks with Walnuts and Herbs. It was an awesome meal!PC: Bonappetit
Recipe after the jump:
Chickpea, Barley and Feta Salad:
8 oz green beans, halved crosswise
1 cup pearled, hulled, or hull-less barley
1 tsp EVOO
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
4 oz feta, crumbled
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Toasted Spice Vinaigrette:
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds (I didn't use fennel because I don't care for it)
1/4 cup EVOO
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
kosher salt and ground black pepper
- For Spice Vinaigrette:Toast coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds in a dry small skillet over medium heat, tossing, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool, then chop. Whisk with oil, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- DO AHEAD: Vinaigrette can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Using a sieve or a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water.
- Return water to a boil, add barley, and simmer until tender (refer to packaging for timing); drain. Let cool on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook sunflower seeds, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; let cool.
- Toss green beans, barley, sunflower seeds, chickpeas, feta, dill, lemon juice, and vinaigrette in a large bowl.
Recipe: Bon Appetit July 2014