Friday, October 7, 2016

Apple Snickerdoodle Muffins


With three kids in school and a year-long work project under my belt, I feel like I can conquer the culinary world. While some ladies nest and organize their house, I organize my kitchen and meals. Left over challah? No problem, I'll make a freezer full of french toast. Too many bananas? Say hello to my Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.  The list goes on and on.  

My latest conquest came about with too many apples in my refrigerator: Apple Snickerdoodle Muffins. These muffins are light and airy with the perfect addition of apples layered in cinnamon and sugar. (I swear they are light, look at the ingredients). 

I can't think of a more perfect breakfast or snack for Fall. 

Recipe after the break: 

Apple Snickerdoodle Muffins:
Yield: 14-15 muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups shredded apples
2 cups all-purpose flour

Topping:
4 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350. Line two regular muffin pans with paper liners or just baking spray.

Peel and shred the apples in a food processor. Squeeze out excess juice.  

In a large bowl or mixer, combine the applesauce, vegetable oil and sugars.  Mix in the egg and vanilla.  With the mixer running on low, add in salt and spices.  Mix in the apples.  When apples are equally distributed, mix in flour until just combined.

Using a large cookie scoop, divide batter between liners.

Mix together remaining sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle over each portion of batter.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick is insert and comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container for up to several days.







No comments:

Post a Comment